Thursday, November 28, 2019

Ask a Hairstylist: The Best Haircut for Fine Hair If You Always Wear It in a Ponytail

Q: I have had the same hairstyle and colour now for years, and would really like a change.

About me: I'm 31 years old, 5'5", with hazel eyes and an oval-shaped face. My colour is dark blonde (or dirty blonde, as I've been told), and I have lots of hair, but it is very fine. I also have annoying cowlicks on both sides of my forehead, so parting my hair is quite challenging at times.

Hair consultation - Laura

Laura is looking for the best hairstyle and colour to suit her features.

I am a physical education teacher who works in Hong Kong, where the humidity is extremely high. So I need to be able to get my hair off my face (otherwise its ends up stuck to my face with sweat!).

I am really interested to know what I should do with my hair colour and what style you think would suit my face. Thank you so much in advance. — Laura

A: Laura, first of all, you have a beautiful face shape. 

You don't need to chop all your hair off. You suit a little bit shorter hair. Two inches will do it. The length should be at the top of the chest.

Since you have finer hair, you should also have choppy layers starting from the collarbone. But the layers cannot be too blended. If the layers are too blended, they become too wispy and soft. They need to be chunky. It's a very good technique for fine hair because it makes it look and act thicker. 

You also suit a fringe. Like a curtain bang that lands on the cheekbones on both sides. Your cowlicks would actually help the fringe to drop on the cheeks.

Georgia May Jagger British Fashion Awards 2015

Georgia May Jagger at the 2015 British Fashion Awards.

Jennifer Lopez Billboard Music Awards 2015

Jennifer Lopez at the 2015 Billboard Music Awards.

This fringe is very current and super cool right now. The rest of your hair can go up in a ponytail or be blow-dried smooth in soft, long layers. 

Hailey Baldwin MTV Europe Music Awards 2015

Hailey Baldwin at the 2015 MTV Europe Music Awards.

Jennifer Lopez Golden Globe Awards 2004

Jennifer Lopez at the 2004 Golden Globe Awards.

As for your colour, it's too ashy. It's actually a little bit greenish-grey on you.

I would leave the pale cool blonde highlights—it's your base that is wrong. It looks like you have a mousy base colour naturally, but your colourist is putting too much ash into your formula, so you're turning a little too flat. 

It needs to be more of a warm honey blonde, like a Level 8 gold. That will give you warmth. When there's warmth and gold around your face, it will glow. It will look stunning.

Blake Lively Michael Kors show 2014

Blake Lively at a 2014 Michael Kors show.

Jennifer Lopez Billboard Music Awards 2018

Jennifer Lopez at the 2018 Billboard Music Awards.



Ask a Hairstylist: The Best Haircut for Fine Hair If You Always Wear It in a Ponytail syndicated from The Skincare Edit
November 28, 2019 at 01:34AM

No comments:

Post a Comment